Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIXED: Death After Ress

4 posters

Go down

FIXED:  Death After Ress Empty FIXED: Death After Ress

Post by miger Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Had a char die. Another in the group went into the room where he died and picked the dead one up and moved out of the room where the death occurred into a room with no monsters. The Cross of Life was used to ress the dead char. He returned to life with full hits but immediately dead status again! There was nothing in the room to kill him??? Seems like a bug. What's up?

miger

Back to top Go down

FIXED:  Death After Ress Empty Re: FIXED: Death After Ress

Post by Jude Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:14 pm

Quick question: What killed the character to begin with? (Specifically, what monster and what attack, if known.) Also.. was the encounter that killed the character still active after the raise, or did you kill/clear the encounter prior to the raise?

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the glitch!
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:25 am

I do not remember now what the mons type was. The fully healed char died very quickly early in the encounter so I doubt it was from hits going to zero.
The encounter was not ended by anyone in the group so yes it was still a live encounter but in the next room, not the room where the ress occurred where all my chars had retreated to.
Sorry for the lack of more detail. What can I do to avoid future repeats?

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Ok, got another report on the 'death after raise' bug, and took another look into it.  

The last time I *thought* I fixed this, I added in a piece of code to the 'killed' routine that clears out any stored swings and damage right when the character is killed.  What I think *might* be happening is that the combat routine may be processing (independently) for a split second longer, allowing an extra swing to get racked up and stored on the arrays that I was clearing *immediately* upon player death.  

I just added a new set of clear commands that take effect as the first step in the character raise subroutine.  This *should* clear up this problem.  This code is currently on the test server, and I will push it over to the live server as soon as I can.  

If this does not permanently fix the problem, I will be surprised.  If it doesn't, I have another trick up my sleeve...
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:10 am

I just pushed the new code to the live server. Fingers crossed it is the final fix this time!
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Today I was killed by a group of conjours at 3,6,7. Another char left that room with conjours still alive, then returned to pick up the dead one and carry him into the next room where he raised the dead one with a cross. Immediately after the good ress, the previously dead one received one last attack from the conjours even thought he was not in the conjour room.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:30 pm

Important question: Did they attack you with a melee attack, or did they breathe on you? It is possible that my fix was not effective for special attacks such as breath...
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 pm

It occurred so quickly I did not notice the type of attack..sry

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:52 am

encountered Arcane Lords today on level 14! (of all places)  and finally took them out.  Cost me 11 deaths (real) deaths and 3 or possibly 4 (I lost count in the excitement) roll over deaths as well.  Of course there was no item, and the AL's were obviously on food stamps since they possessed a mere 690K in gold.  

In none f the roll over deaths did I ever receive a message... perhaps if you could alter the routine so that you did not get returned to life with 1 HP initially, this would not be such a big deal.  IE instead of having all resurrections return to life with 1hp, then restore soul bumping up to full hits, why not have all raises return to life with 999, then move those that are raise dead or stone to flesh back down to 1 hp? and if you can't figure out what is causing the roll over damage, do a subsequent hits=999 for restore soul at the very end of the sequence?
boxripper
boxripper

Back to top Go down

FIXED:  Death After Ress Empty avoidance strategy

Post by boxripper Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:27 pm

You can avoid Roll Over Death by signing the char completely out of the game before accepting the raise.
Backing out to the title page will not work.
boxripper
boxripper

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:45 pm

Interesting. It is good there is a work around, until such a time that Jude can slay this pesky bug.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:59 pm

Ok, I have taken another crack at this bug.

I took Jake's suggestion, and for now (a.k.a. until we are sure the post-death-carryover-damage bug is fixed), ALL raises cast in the dungeon should leave a player with max hits.

I have also made another attempt at preventing this damage from happening. I am a bit puzzled why it is still happening, but perhaps this round of fixes will take.

I would very much appreciate any and all feedback on this. If you still see characters getting smacked after a raise, I'd love details--for how much, any messages at all, etc. etc.. Right now I'm not sure if it is straight up damage, breath, destroy attacks.. Details are key, and they really help me narrow down my troubleshooting.

Hopefully the bug is fixed, but if that's not the case, I am hoping the extra hits will allow someone to see what is going on. Hang in there--we've squashed worse bugs than this one! (But this one does really suck..)
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 am

You still return to life with 1 hit point. It takes a while for your hits to jump to full. I don't think that will help.
boxripper
boxripper

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Tonight on 14, my party entered a room with several monster groups including gorgons. I quickly stepped back out to a cleared hallway. After all in my group were shown to be stepped out, one of my chars was shown Dead but still in the same spot with the rest of the party outside the room with the gorgons. The party were still all together with 1 char dead. I raised the dead player with my healer using Restore Flesh. The dead player was successfully ressed with 1 hit, but immediately died again even though there were no monsters in the hallway.

Now, the really strange part, after the char was shown immediately dead following the successful ress, he was shown positioned, not in the hallway where he was raised, but back in the room where the gorgons were.

How could he be shown as in the hallway where my healer ressed him if he was actually still in the gorgon room? Or stated another way, how could my healer ress him if he was actually in another room?

Mike

Last edited by miger on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:42 am

Quick question: were both deaths due to being turned to a statue?

The reason that I ask is because the original bug that was addressed in this thread was dealing with swings/damage coming from monsters after a character has been raised. What you are reporting sounds like it may be a similar but slightly different situation. The code that deals with special attacks (like statuing) is separate from the damage code, and could have its own unresolved issue in this area.
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:47 pm

If I remember correctly, the ress following the second death did not require restore flesh but only restore soul. I think I only lost one con from the first ress and none from the second as I remember the incident.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down