TPd off Bansidhe Lair Map

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TPd off Bansidhe Lair Map

Post by miger on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 pm

I know Javatar does not offer any maps. Jake has done us all a great service creating maps. In the other player forum, I have proposed changes to the Bansidhe Lair based on new information and also detailed my current problem in the Lair.

Basically, my thief wolf was TPd into an area outside of the currently mapped area. I know where the thief is by using the locate spell. But all areas immediately outlining the currently mapped section of the Lair have been individually detected as rock. So there is no option to simply walk to the stranded thief.

Displacement or teleport are disabled on this level, and I have visited every room and there seems not to be a linked room to where the thief sits either. The stranded thief is too weak on this level to try to walk around alone.

Frankly, I have run out of ideas on how to rescue the TPd thief. I assume this is not a bug condition and that there is a real way to stage a rescue.

I would prefer not to delete the char.

Any suggestions appreciated?

Mike

miger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TPd off Bansidhe Lair Map

Post by Jude on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:11 pm

I think we have a new glitch with random teleporters that needs to be addressed..

At any rate, wolf has been returned to the city.

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miger on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you.

At least the random chest TP placed the char into a position outside the mapped area that permitted us to use locate to correctly figure out when the actual boundaries of the Bansidhe Lair lie even if there was no way to actually get to the char.

There may be another question that might be raised by this experience which indicates there are monster-populated areas outside of what is currently mapped. If these areas are inaccessible (or inescapable) except by random TP, why are they there?

Mike

miger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am

This is not a TP bug. It is a design choice. The space that BL occupies is also very close to (physically) to another extended dungeon area.

It is entirely possible to get tp'd from one to the other. Without locate, this is a problem, no?
dungeonmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 am

Oh, yeah. Now I remember... when I was running Banshidhe's Lair often, this actually happened to me... you can end up in the Dark Tunnel area off of level 8. I will post a note on the maps.

JF
boxripper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miger on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am

I understand Dungeonmaster to be saying that the char TPd by a chest trap into an area outside of the currently mapped Bansidhe Lair can walk to a another TP and get out of the first trap. I would think this is acceptable IF the TPd char can handle moving around BL solo to discover the 2nd TP.

In the case of my thief, when he first landed in the new isolated area he was in a solo fight from some powerful mons, so he quickly moved through a door into another room. I was very hesitant to re-enter the previous room where the powerful mons were and where the 2nd TP might exist.

Am I understanding the intent of the design choice correctly?

miger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 pm

I don't know that JPA said anything like that...

What I am saying, is that I got a tp box from inside BL, and my scavvie ended up lost in some other space. I ran around some, and eventually figured out he was in the dark tunnel. It is always good to keep some blow up items on the box opener so he can have a chance to handle himself in extreme situations. Once I discovered I was in the Dark Tunnel, I recalled everyone else back to the city, made a trip to 8, went into the dark tunnel and found my scavvie.

Make sense?
boxripper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:53 pm

I am pretty sure I didn't say that.  

Players tend to think about the dungeon in terms of 30x30x15 as being the conventional dungeon.  Everything outside of that becomes "extra" dungeon space.  In that framework -- most of the extra dungeon tiles are self contained.  Once you are there, you cannot TP in or out, and in many cases you cannot locate except within your immediate area.   In a very few cases, an extra dimensional dungeon space (from level 7, for example) may line up with another extra dimensional dungeon space (from level 8, for example)  This close proximity, allow random TP's to send you to the other space-- but there may be no other connection between these two tiles.  

This adds a level of complexity to the game, and makes it a little harder to decide to open that TP box-- you aren't for sure where you might end up.
dungeonmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miger on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks for the more detailed explanation.

I think the confusing issue for me was that when I did locates from BL on the TPd thief the results seem to indicate that the thief was still on BL, but outside the currently mapped area.

Based on the current mapped BL:
One locate was taken from 7,7 BL and it gave a locate of 27,8 to reach the TPd thief.
The second locate was taken from 6,7 BL and it gave a locate of -2,8 to reach the thief.

From these two locates, it seemed to indicate that my thief was still in BL, but outside the currently mapped area. It certainly did not give any indication I was in a different dimensional dungeon space (The Dark Tunnel). And since the locates showed the thief was still on BL, I have a hard time thinking why anyone would logically consider that the TPd thief was actually located in a completely different dungeon space.

It also seem to indicate that the West Wall of BL was between columns 6-7.

It seems something is misleading here - at least for this simple player. Thanks for the challenging configurations and the clarifications and also to boxripper for maps and ideas.

Mike

miger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 pm

I recall not being able to locate at all in BL (or anywhere else in the non traditional dungeon)-- but I think they softened that up after much whining and complaining from me and others about how unfair it was.

It sounds to me like the DM put the Dark Tunnel and the Bansidhe's Lair on the same dungeon level / tile. Perhaps I will investigate this further, if I find myself suitably bored someday.
boxripper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum