1984 version

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1984 version

Post by scarab on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Is it possible to play they 1984 version?

scarab

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1984 version

Post by dungeonmaster on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

That depends on what you mean. The 84 version of avatar ran from the fall of 1983 thru 1994. Within this time period you had distinctly differing 'games' based on the presence of bards. Then of course you had the recreated version starting in 1996 on NOVANET.

As I understand it:

Currently cyber1.org hosts two versions of the game that *COULD* be considered something like the 84 version. 2avatar is the most closely in line with the original, but is hopelessly broken by some misguided persons tampering with it sometime before it moved to cyber1.
The other version of the game in residence there is 'zavatar' -- which bears a strong resemblance to the original. Some names are changed, and there are rules to restrict access and ease of play ... but this might be your best shot at this time.

Jude is considering making a "original" flavor game... but the complexities involved are huge. We are not running TUTOR, we don't have access to code and datasets, namesets, and the like. Jude is quite skilled at making a game that LOOKS like avatar, but it is virtually impossible to create a game that will function exactly like the original. The previous version of JAVATAR was an attempt to make the game look, sound and function like the "idealized" version of the 84 game. It was not entirely successful.

I hope I have answered your questions...
dungeonmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 pm

It's on my to-do list. We have the maps, we have a game engine, we have a lot of the details, but there is a fair amount of data we don't have. If anyone out there wants to hit us with the monster data, I'll get 'Javatar 84' up and running in short order.

One problem with recreating '84 is that almost everyone has a different memory of the game, as it was modified over the years and played on different systems...

When Javatar was rebooted last year, we decided that trying to create just another variation of games then offered on Nova (RIP) and Cyber1 wouldn't be much of a draw. Instead we went with new maps, some new creatures/items, paired with the same guilds and spells from '84. The result is a challenging game.. We have a number of new features too--a starter dungeon to help new chars get built up, a city guard rescue feature, and timing that allows for much faster walking through the dungeon.

Anyway, if you want Javatar '84 sooner, and you know someone with a binder full of the old monster data--let us know! Smile

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miger on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:05 pm

I suspect, but really don't know, that the 84 request was motivated not by memories of an old game, but rather by the lack of reference materials for this new and exciting version of Javatar, especially after the disappearance of the previous forums with their contained maps, tips, and clarification.

The most important missing reference in this new game is the lack of maps of the new levels and sub-set levels. Personally, I lack the skill and experience to create maps especially when the difficulty level reaches that of level 6. Without a map source, as in the previous versions, I will not be able to continue to enjoy this new game.

A brand new player is destined to spend an enormous amount of time mapping where in previous versions, including Javatar Beta, maps were available. I think experienced players might accept this condition, but brand new players may quickly be discouraged and never give the game a chance.

I have relied on the store to tell me about weapons and items but realize that when I go deeper, I will only learn what items I may be eligible for when I find them. That is an exciting feature (assuming I can stay alive at the level necessary to find them).

I am creating a list of what level I find monsters on, and I can only assume that a quest of a monster I haven't yet seen must mean it's on a level I haven't visited yet.

I enjoy the new and current game without comparing it to earlier versions (besides Beta) that I haven't played. But realistically, I suspect that I will not advance deeper than level 6 simply because I personally lack the ability to map such new depths. For some, this may simply be a minor delaying task. For me, it will likely end the game as I become bored of running the same limited levels that I do have maps for or till I get a quest at a deeper level that I can't reach.

So my request would be to develop a map source to avoid both re-creating an earlier game (84), and in reaching an early ending point in this new version. Let's permit starting this game with the objective of playing not uniquely mapping.

Respectfully,
Mike

miger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi Mike,

Historically, mapping has *always* been a part of any new version of Avatar. We as the authors/operators of this version are keeping in tradition, and are not releasing the maps to this version. For some, unknown maps are a unique (and fun!) challenge.

In this version of the game, a player chose to host maps on his own forum.. and then he chose to remove them. We have no control over what people chose to do with their own forums and maps. I'm sure there are other players in-game who would be happy to help you out with maps and mapping.

Have fun!

-Jude

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Followup:

In case anyone is looking for maps, the player Boxripper has created a new players' forum, with more maps than were available on the old players' forum.  Click the text below for a direct link to the players' forum:

Javatar Players' Forum

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum