FIXED: Only 1 Set of Companions are Engaging During Combat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FIXED: Only 1 Set of Companions are Engaging During Combat

Post by musicman on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:26 am

Only the companions of the character in front of the party (1st of X) get to tangle with whatever the encounter is. The companions of the rest of the members of the party do NOT do any damage to the encounter. This has been verified by another (veteran) player. Please fix this. Thank You
==================================================================================================================================================================
This continues to be a stumbling block the deeper one takes their party when those extra few attacks from each characters charmees (instead of just the party leader's charmees) may indeed make the difference between some characters left standing afterwards and a total party wipe-out. May I suggest that this still needs to be investigated and a solution for it found. Thanks

Last edited by Jude on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : still not working properly)

musicman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FIXED: Only 1 Set of Companions are Engaging During Combat

Post by Jude on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:06 am

I believe I have this fixed on the test server. This was a tricky, subtle error.

The fix involved moving a few lines of code around. My test involved summoning a bunch of gargantuans on the 2nd or 3rd character in a party, and then watching them mow down Footpads on level 1. So I'm pretty sure the code is working as intended. I will push this to the production server ASAP.

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:32 am

each character's charmees should damage or kill no more than 1 monster. as it currently is implemented a character with 4 gargants can stand back and watch his gargants mow through illusionist type mobs 4 at a time.

IE a particular char (not player) with buddies should engage no more than 1 monster from the currently faced monster slot, or if those mobs have all been eliminated, move on to the next available monster slot. Charmees only get 1 attack.
dungeonmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:37 pm

Interesting, I have certainly seen more than 1 monster killed by charmees in all the vers I have played. It appears to me that charmees get there regular attack round from each char in the enc.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:40 pm

One more comment. Something that is unique to this ver is charmees getting an attack round before the char and before the monsters. In other words, enter enc and it is immediately reduced. That is certainly a player advantage and should probably be reconsidered.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Before I forget again, one more thing unique to this ver. I have been in alone (only player in game) for some time and come up on boxes that are unattended by any monster. Just a box sitting there, and nobody else in to have cleared the enc and left the box. FYI.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:40 am

Re: charmees attack 1st. I have seen this occasionally as well. It was a more frequent event last version (and was reported)
Re: unattended treasure chests. This seems to occur just as often as it did in the last version. (and was reported often) Free Loot!

musicman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:20 pm

dungeonmaster wrote:each character's charmees should damage or kill no more than 1 monster.  as it currently is implemented a character with 4 gargants can stand back and watch his gargants mow through illusionist type mobs 4 at a time.

IE  a particular char (not player) with buddies should engage no more than 1 monster from the currently faced monster slot, or if those mobs have all been eliminated, move on to the next available monster slot.  Charmees only get 1 attack.

Pat is mostly correct about this with the exception of heavy hitters like Corsairs {unique to javatar}, Mind Twisters, Master Assassins, RCA's and of course Gargantuans who COULD kill more than 1 monster in the group (depending on the monster). This is the way it worked in all versions since Avatar84. Each member of your party would finish it's attack for round 1 and then each players charmees would attack the next monster in the lowest numbered slot (unless you designated a different group by pressing 1,2,3, or 4 and then charmees only got a shot at ONE monster in whichever slot you designated). If you did not press a number on any of your characters before the second round, then you might expect to see as many as 4 (with a party of 4) less monsters at the beginning of the next round, meaning that each characters charmees had attacked and killed 1 monster each. There are currently 2 running versions of avatar on cyber1 which are based on Avatar84: Zavatar and Vavatar. While Mike has changed the name of some of the items and monsters, he cannot change the hexidecimal (tutor) code which determines interactions like this. So if anyone has any doubts, they can go experiment in both of those games to compare. The results are consistent every time. I wholeheartedly support both Jude and Pat's efforts to make javatar resemble, as close as possible, the most sophisticated and well written rpg/dungeon game that was ever written for plato.

musicman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:54 pm

My understanding is that charmees act just as they do as monsters, just that now they are on your side as opposed to attacking you. They do whatever they do.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:10 pm

The new code is live--it allows companions of players apart from those belonging to the party leader to attack.

Right now, the code is limited to one enemy monster attacked per group of charmees.

Steve--do you think that the code allowing for (studly) companions to attack more monsters had something to do with their # of swings? i.e. a set of RCA's could attack 2 monsters at a time because they have 2 swings? (I know that's not how the swing data is not traditionally used by the code, but they might have coded it that way specifically for companions..)

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 pm

I am guessing each companion rolled to hit and damage and it added up based on observation of remaining opponents at the beginning of the 2nd (and possibly 3rd, or 4th) round. By no means did one characters stud companions always take out more than 1 monster per round but 30-50% of the time is closer to my recollection. Companion damage vs. the Boss/Stud is what we always hoped for good rolls on. Sometimes they hit, sometimes not. Javatar plots that information (damage done & received) a lot faster than plato systems do/did, so doing quick math in combat seems more of a challenge here. Adding up the damage done and making the most efficient move the next round is sometimes based on what your companions were able to do between rounds. Damage taken messages don't let us as players know how many swings the monster got against us, just the total damage. Companions attack and damage rolls should be just the same as if they are attacking player characters with the same att/def barriers to cross as we as player characters have. The main reason this became a topic is that (in most instances) only the leader's {1st of 5}companions were getting options. When going against studs on 15 having good buddies on each character who fought well was often the difference between success and failure against the worst DM's could toss at us.
Thanks for listening

musicman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:02 am

Non-level 15 monsters can kill more than 1, like Momma U and Clowns for example (13 natives). I don't believe any limit to one monster kill by charmees is in place, just that only monsters with strong enough attack can kill more than 1. My observation is that monsters make there rolls and the outcome comes based on there attack roll vs the monsters defense. I don't believe any hard limit is in place in 84 that limits charmees to killing 1 monster.

Also, I believe one of the reasons that monsters are set as uncharmable (other than taking that option away from the player), is that the DM did not want that strong of a monster as a charmee (vamps or such as an example).

Golden Elysian Horn is a desirable find because it allows putting 4 gargs on a monster a set number of charges worth. A hard limit of 1 monster kill means 4 gargs kill only 1 kobald at a time on 1. A very extreme example, but I use it just to make the point.

My 2 cents.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 am

"Companions attack and damage rolls should be just the same as if they are attacking player characters with the same att/def barriers to cross as we as player characters have". This seems to have changed in the last day or so. Companions are now weaker once they are on our side and deliver less damage to our adversaries in the dungeon. It's great to see that the charmees of all party members are engaging the monsters now, but may I suggest that pimping their attack and damage rolls is somewhat less than what we were requesting and can we get their full support back please?

If I have 4 companions one one particular character and enter into battle with them, shouldn't their attack and damage rolls be cumulative versus the opponent just like their attack and damage rolls were before they became charmees?

I don't feel I am asking for a player advantage here, but rather seeking fairness and balance. I want it to be a challenging game just like the rest of the good sports who play.

musicman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:07 pm

4 RCA and 2 Gargs buddies on 2 characters. Always takes only 1 monster in charmee fighting round. It appears to be back as it was, only 1 set of characters buds are fighting??

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:47 pm

I'll take a look at it. Last night I reordered the combat routine such that companions get their option after the enemy monsters (as it was historically). Maybe I forgot to move the code that fixed
this issue the last time around. This should be a quick fix.

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:16 pm

companions after monsters sounds right to me historically, good. FYI, companion fighting is still looking like 1 monster kill is a max regardless.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 pm

Fixed (again), and running on the live server. Thanks for the heads up.

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:20 pm

4 behemouths kill one wererat per round. Sounds like this is intended, but I offer up me questioning it, for what it is worth.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:01 pm

It's like "Here beasties, join my party! (w/spell, scroll or item) Ok you charmed some companions but have to tell them "when we fight other critters though, only one of you gets to fight so decide which one of you it's going to be"

I will just say that this is not how companions fighting with the party has worked in previous versions.

musicman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:55 pm

Something is still wrong with bud fighting, let me give an example.

Two groups, 1 monster in each
1 Stirfin
1 Stirfin

2 chars going against this, 2 gargs on each char. Don't fight, just let option expire and it takes 2 round for the 2 sets of gargs to kill the 2 singleton monsters.

It looks like 1 monster total is max that even 2 gargs can kill in a round if only one monster in the first group. I hope this is not as intended, and i report it here for your information.

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Ok, I fixed this new issue. (This issue popped up from my re-ordering of the attack sequence.. I knew we'd have something like this to deal with.) Here's what was happening: all companions in a party were only capable of selecting one slot of monsters per combat round, because the code was not updating the # of enemies in a slot in real time. This has been fixed (on test, will push to live soon). Now the companions in a party are capable of finding the next live monster during a combat round, even if the companions belonging to another player clear a slot.

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:06 pm

New feature:  

As mentioned by Steve earlier in this thread, it the original version of the game, the companions would target whatever slot the player had selected with the 1-4 keys.  This feature has been restored.  

It is now possible, for instance, to swing away at a monster in slot 1, redirect your companions to hack away at a speller in slot 4 when it's their turn, and then return (as the player) to attack slot 1 during your next combat round.  Neat!  Steve, thanks for reminding me about this functionality. This is currently running on test, coming to live very soon.

Jude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:52 am

Good show!

ghard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content