Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final Push

+2
musicman
dungeonmaster
6 posters

Go down

The Final Push Empty The Final Push

Post by dungeonmaster Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:12 pm

From a DATA side--

I am going to make a final push to complete the game.
--I will be:
1) installing a special area on 15.
2) removing the much hated Minotaur Lair.
3) doing general clean up.
4) taking whatever input the players have on DATA issues.

This last effort will mark the beginning of a more hands off period -- so if you have issues with the DATA (IE not the code) this is the time to spit them out.

This has been an extraordinary opportunity for me to help create this game. Thanks to Jude for giving me the chance. Thanks to the players for suffering thru my failures and enjoying the triumphs. It has been a great pleasure to bring this dungeon to life-- and I hope ya'll have enjoyed playing it half as much as I enjoyed building it!
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

The Final Push Empty Re: The Final Push

Post by musicman Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:43 am

Thank You for all your efforts. Could you possibly list a few concrete examples of the difference between DATA and code so that when we attempt to point out glitches, anomalies, and mysterious events, we will know how to direct our feedback?

musicman

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 am

data issues:

This monster is too strong/weak.
The map for level X is complicated beyond reason.
the items that fall from area X are too ( high level/low level/powerful/weak etc)
level X contains so many pimps that no one will ever run it.
encounter X,Y,Z on level xx is pretty tough, but coughs no gold or items.

monsters on level 11 are too weak or item drops on 11 are too generous.

so these are all things that can be adjusted by playing with the game's data. IE I am not re writing code to make the game change it's behavior--- encounters, monsters, items, maps are mainly what I have done. Races/guilds/spells are data as well-- but I don't really have much to do with them.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am

What is the spell level on spheres? They seem to be overpowered imo.

One thing this version lacks is what Momma U and Clowns are in v/z, that monster that is native to 10 but is an ass kicker damage wise and has a chance to drop something t5 on 10. I know stud rooms can be this kinda, but studs can be avoid, these monsters are native to 10 and can appear anywhere on the level. These monster are also kind of gate keepers for the level, you can't run 10 till you can handle them by at least surviving to run away.

Another "data" comment is that destroy monsters are far and away the primary threat, very few if any i have run into (thru 13) offer much of a death by damage threat. Destroy is integral to monster threat, but my thought is it is relied on too heavily and running those levels I find it the only thing i think about.

Some thoughts.

ghard

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 am

Thank you. I have tried to up the ante on stoning. The mechanism for saving throws seems to give superior protection to the players-- hence the mobs need to be overcharged to compensate. Death by damage-- when this version rolled out, I had to go through and decrease the attack of mobs across the board because virtually all players at that time were crying the blues about the monsters ripping them new ones. Perhaps I went too far. Spheres can be adjusted downwards. I don't really have much time for play testing anymore-- so I will make a small adjustment and you guys can let me know...
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:27 pm

I would like to extend a big thank you to JPA for all of his efforts.  This project was struggling before he signed on and took the reigns with the data.  At the time, we had two big issues--a game engine that needed a lot of code work, and stale game data that was lacking in challenge.  (That's putting things mildly on both fronts!)  His herculean efforts on the data immediately freed me up to work on the parts of the game that were broken, and he pushed me behind the scenes to retool placeholder code, create useful editors, and add missing features.  Working on this project with him has been a great collaboration, and I hope it doesn't end with the finishing of this dungeon.  I've been continually blown away by his work ethic and endless energy for this project.

During this final push, I am going to try and fix what I can, but I will be directing more of my bandwidth towards giving the dungeonmaster any tools/tweaks he needs to tidy things up.    

I'm really hoping to get some time to actually sit down and *play* this version.. it looks fun to me!  

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by ghard Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks guys!

Please consider some barrier monsters. Nothing says it has to be on 10, but certainly before 14/15. I mean natives to the level that are a damage death threat, so they cannot be avoid, must be dealt with, even if it means surviving by running.

ghard

Back to top Go down

The Final Push Empty since the games is "done"...

Post by mcnail Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 pm

was wondering if it would be possible to get a list of all the names of the monsters...no other info just the names that way the community could create a wiki or some other data base that could be updated with location, special attacks, what to use to charm, what they mis id as...whatever the players decide to enter

thanks

Brad

mcnail

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:30 am

I for one have been recording the monsters I run into and where found. Of course I am not too deep yet and still learning how to effectively fight each one. Some appear to be quite rare, especially when really needed for a quest. Some only appear in stud rooms or specially designated areas. The off level areas are rather confusing to me but sometimes seem to contain unique mons.

While I personally have a problem in trying to map, I can eventually create a monster map. Mis-ID kinda screws it up.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:36 pm

Uhm.  No.  I won't be providing you with that information.

Here is all I will say: the original data had 252 monsters +2 Christmas monsters.

The expanded data has approximately:
-70 specialty (holiday) mobs,
-about 8 that are no longer found in the dungeon (that can be recycled) because their home areas have been removed from normal play
-and about 220 regular (findable) mobs.

The First new mob I created was "Neophyte."
The Last new mob I created was "Carnufex Maxima"
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks Pat for NOT providing us with that information. It would make it less of a game and serve as a spoiler of sorts if we (as players) were not able to document our adventures and make our own bestiary.

musicman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down