Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible game error

5 posters

Go down

Possible game error Empty Possible game error

Post by Jackknife Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:37 pm

On Monday, December 11 around 8pm UTC my group of 5 chars had just returned from the dungeon to the city and I was passing items, including an Amulet of Life, around. To my surprise a Ring of Life [5] appeared on my ninja (Butcher). I had never seen this item before, so I got info and realized that it was an imba ring. I immediately checked to see who was online in case it was an accident, but there were no other players on. Assuming it was an operator, I immediately gave thanks to the dm. Today (Tue) I was asking around if anyone had misplaced a ring and they suggested it might be a game error, so I am reporting it here. I have the ring on a storage char (qjewelry) if needed.

Jackknife (aka Mike)

Jackknife

Back to top Go down

Possible game error Empty Re: Possible game error

Post by dungeonmaster Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Thanks for the report. I will look into it.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm

I see the ring landing from bagger to bagger, I do not see any amulet of life being given.

There are two possibilities here, and I really don't like either of them very much.

You saw no one else in the game, correct? Not even a blank char name????
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:10 pm

We haven't figured out what caused the error. But rewards have been doled out.

Big rewards.

As a general reminder to all...Report the bugs you find. We are generous with those who do, and merciless to those who abuse bugs and don't report it.

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackknife Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:27 pm

My 'new item' has become Dust of the Ancient Ones (cursed) [6] and the store doesn't have any properties associated with it. The 6 is likely the number of charges I had on the new item when it changed.

Jackknife

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackknife Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:16 am

The BAMF Band is in use!

Jackknife

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I think there is a problem with the give routine...

I was cleaning up stuff from several runs, passing it to a char named Warehouse that Grainger/Althea was using to collect such ...

I gave lots of stuff from the thief ..Will Landru.. and it all went smoothly.

Then I tossed a couple items from the seeker Javatar Airlines and the second item I tossed showed up as :

G Warehouse Xmas Gift [2]

It landed the same way. I got Grainger to not use the item-- and it is available for inspection.

I either gave him a set of mithril chain mail or a wand of darkness

This sounds a lot like the other error with the Ring of Life.

JF
boxripper
boxripper

Back to top Go down

Post by Venge Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:06 pm

sitting on character Warehouse.. slot 64 have done nothing to it or with it

Venge

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackknife Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:04 am

10 am UTC Dec 25 2017. I was buying gear for my chars after having done some leveling and passing used gear to Bagger. A message appeared that I had passed a Brown Sash (cursed) from Bugle to Bagger appeared and Bagger had a Brown Sash in his pack. I never found such an item. It appeared from nowhere.

Jackknife

Back to top Go down

Post by Venge Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Another weird thing happened. I was passing a tome from character-Warehouse- to another character-Grainger- and the tome turned into "Mrs. clause cookies(2)". not knowing what to do I tried to save them, but I logged off and they disappeared.

Venge

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:27 am

Please keep the error reports coming. Were you the only human player in the game when these last events happened?

I am still away on vacation, but I will have time to sit down with the server code and address this issue in a few days. Until then, every piece of data helps!
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackknife Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:10 am

The 'B' boys were the only ones on when the Brown Sash appeared.

Jackknife

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm

I just got a phantom Give on a Ring of Life [4]

of course the item I gave was a potion of fitness (n) [7] and it said it went, but never showed up.  the RoL did tho.

Others were logged in--

Last edited by boxripper on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : details)
boxripper
boxripper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. I will be taking the game offline on Friday evening to fix this.
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by boxripper Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Jude,

Firstly, Happy Holidays!

Secondly, I have been trying to piece the triggering sequence back together-- I have seen this event now 3 times I think.  Each time involving a distinctly different trigger item, and each resulting in a bizarre effect.  Twice, the item I gave failed to show up, and once it did.  In all three cases I got either a substitute or additional item.  Ring of Life [4], Xmas Present [0], and Candy {xxx} [1].  I can't recall if I got plain candy or candy corn-- the item disappeared after I left the game and reentered, and I really didn't associate it at the time with the give function.  It just showed up, and I thought "weird" and moved on.

Here is the common ground-- and I am stretching my recollections on the CANDY incident, so I may be totally off base--

I think in each occurrence I was giving a series of items for the first time since I had signed that char into the game-- by that i mean that I may have either signed in shortly before, or played a while without using the give function at all... but then when I started giving I gave items in rapid succession.  I think in both cases, the item lands on the target on the second give.  IE the first one goes off correctly, the second one goes awry.  

Since the bogus given item seems different each time, I think you may have a variable someplace either with the same name used in say the stat or help files, or a variable that is not getting reset up initializing a new session.  Or a combination of these errors.  IE player A is on, does something outside the normal execution of the game (visits the stats or help) and loads up a variable.  Exits the game.  Player B signs in and those values are carried over into the game.  Then the give routine somehow loads one of those values-- it could actually be doing it each time, but the value loaded falls outside the acceptable values of the give function so it gets ignored, rejected.  But when the value manages to fall in the range of what it recognizes as an 'item give' it substitutes or appends that give function to the normal one.  

I am shooting in the dark here, without access to the code, I am just guessing-- but I have a fair amount of experience with coding, and I have made these sorts of mistakes in my own projects.  I once created a farm/transportation game/simulator and had two variable with the same name in each of the parts.  When a user switched from one function to the other, weird stuff happened.  It took forever to debug.

Anyhow... something for you to look at.  

Thanks for working on the game.

JF
boxripper
boxripper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Jake--happy holidays to you too!

Thanks for your insights on this.  I just took the game down, and rolled out my first attempt at a fix to this.  I have yet to experience or reproduce this bug, so I went with the theory that the buffer containing the item to be given is somehow getting overwritten, corrupted or reused.  I did a line by line scan of the code, and could find no instances of this variable being used in anything but code involving the actual give routine.  What I ended up doing as an attempted fix was add some more explicit clearing of those variables during character login.  

I'm not too confident that this fix is addressing what is going on, as it appeared to me that the code was already doing a decent job of clearing things out after give events.  It's a start though.  At the very least, I am now more familiarized with the give code.  

Another question--is this only ever happening in the city, or does it happen in the dungeon as well?  (Apologies if this has been answered previously..)  

Please keep me posted on whether or not this glitch continues.

Thanks!

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down