crash/freeze

Go down

crash/freeze Empty crash/freeze

Post by mlm on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:27 pm

The game seems to be unstable the last week or so. Numerous freezes/crashes. Just happened now, and was several minutes before I could log back in... the server is unreachable during that time? IDK.

It has happened 3 or 4 times today...

Any idea on what is causing it? or any idea on when it will stop?

mlm

Back to top Go down

crash/freeze Empty Re: crash/freeze

Post by mlm on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Just happened again. All chars locked up. After waiting 3 or 4 minutes, I closed down all stand alone terminal clients. Then could not establish contact with the server for approximately 5 more minutes. Then it allowed me to log on normally.

Other times when I have seen this, when I open the first window to the server, I will see some random number of users. The last time it told me there were 7 users. Then when I opened a second window, it told me there were five users. By the time I got a third char signed in, the game was accurately saying there were three users.

In the latest iteration of the freeze / crash when it finally allowed me to open a client window, it said 9 users. When I logged in, it said 1 user in avatar. When I opened the second window, It said 2 users (correctly)

I don't know if this is important or not. I have seen the game "crash" before, and when this happens you can usually re-establish a connection almost immediately (IE less than 1 minute) -- that is why I don't know if this is a crash or a freeze or something else...

Mike

mlm

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:29 pm

I have started a new job recently, so I haven't been around all that much.

Usually with a freeze up, someone has a pretty good idea that they caused it...
IE an encounter starts to plot, or they try to take an option in combat and everything comes grinding to a dead stop. Sometimes it is a specific room that is glitched...

I would love to hear from that person, even if they just SUSPECT it might be them. Finding out what they are doing that is the trigger is the key to tracking this. It doesn't appear to be a crash, because they leave tell tale signs on the server.

Who else is experiencing this? Could it be a connectivity issue with MLM's computer/router?

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miger on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:49 pm

I have not recently seen such a crash or freeze. I have seen several variations of incorrect users on as Mike describes.
I also frequently have chars go silent (freeze?) if I am using several chars and spending time with just one or two of them and just letting the others sit intending to come back to them. So sometimes after not using (keystrokes) them for maybe more than 5 minutes, they will be still registered as users, but not responsive requiring a new sign in. When I do sign in again, I do not have to kick the silent char off.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by miger on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Today all 6 chars had a "freeze". I was in the room at 15,18,14 and moved left 2 spaces. The leader's screen did not show the movement, but 4 of the others in the party did. But all 6 did not respond. I resigned on with the leader and it showed him as the only char in the room until I re-signed the others back on.
The other player that was on at the same time said 2 of his 4 chars had their windows freeze requiring re-signing on.

miger

Back to top Go down

crash/freeze Empty from docriley

Post by docriley on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:17 am

I have been working for a few days and last I was on (3 days ago) it did freeze twice at critical moments, and caused a whole party wipe, which is pretty rare for me these days. (unfortunately it was vamps, so any problem in that encounter can do you in quickly) but it just happened twice that day. I'm going to log in now and play for an hour, and I'll see how it goes.

Doc

docriley

Back to top Go down

crash/freeze Empty Yes Houston, there is a problem

Post by docriley on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:42 am

Yes, something is going on.

I had played for about an hour, and everything was fine. I then got what I call a "normal freeze" - just a little glitch, and had to log people back in and out. When I logged back in, I was in a completely different room on 15, and I was in AM. I was in an encounter and nearly finished it, but the game locked again when the mob was almost dead. I re-logged everyone in again, finished the encounter. I was in an AM room, I walked one space, and then the whole game froze - one of those bad freezes... maybe an endless loop sort of thing... divide by zero... which knocked the whole game out (like the last time when I displaced onto a facer square). So now the game is down, and my characters are in limbo as well.

I hope that helps, I wish I could have been more specific, but since it logged me back into a different place, I wasn't even really sure where I was. It seems to be something with AM.

Doc

PS - I will be gone on vacation starting tomorrow, so won't be on for a few days. If things can be fixed, I'd really appreciate it if my characters were sent back to city steps or whatever. They WERE all fine Smile Thanks!!!

docriley

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 pm

I did a universal return all chars to the city steps.

Hopefully Jude can look into this.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackknife on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:24 am

The game is currently down.
Jackknife (for the 'B' boys)

Jackknife

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 pm

We are currently down because my area lost power a few times last evening.  (Apparently the game server did not come back up on auto restart—but our web server did.)

Regarding the freezes—this is currently my top priority.  Keep the details coming, but I think I now have a point of entry (anti magic tiles) for reproducing and fixing this error.  

I will be putting the server back online tonight and hope to trap this error over the next couple of days.  

Thanks for your patience!

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Update: it looks like our server code took a bit of a hit when the power went out. I may have to repair/replace a few files in order to get it to launch. Right now it’s dead in the water. I will invest some time this evening and follow up here.
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by docriley on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:23 am

How goes the war Jude? Is it an extensive repair?

docriley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Good news--I was able to repair the server issue related to the sudden consecutive power losses over the weekend. So, the server is up (for now).

I am still working on the freeze issue (unrelated to this extended outage, but the subject of this thread) and will be doing some extensive troubleshooting on the test server this evening.
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum