Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster specific Items

3 posters

Go down

Monster specific Items Empty Monster specific Items

Post by docriley Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 am

Foggy
Just to let you know, have hit Foggy 4 times since the fix, and he's dropped PoF once, but he's not dropped the other junk that he was dropping. The other times, there was no drop at all.

docriley

docriley

Back to top Go down

Monster specific Items Empty Re: Monster specific Items

Post by mlm Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm

I played some the last couple days:

First: the drop appears (at first blush) to be much, much better. Previously I was finding an item or two each run on 15. Today I found 3,4 or 5 items during the same period.

Second: Foggie dropped two potions out of a total of three encounters.
1 was a PoF the other was a PoP. Seems weird that foggie is dropping PoP, but since they are rare, I am not complaining! Is this a new implementation? And isn't foggie supposed to be an autodrop of PoF????

Lastly: There are still a lot of empty rooms on level 16, the uber area -- and at least once I got something ridiculous from a stud encounter with asmo and orcus and something else-- Mithril Sword. Seems to me that this is pretty much ridiculous to have multiple Studs/ubers in one encounter and then drop a level 11/12 item.

Thanks for continuing to work on the game.

MLM

mlm

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks for the report. Glad to see the drop is working as it was intended to all along. I would love some data on the number of level 15 boxes (from level 15 monsters) you are opening and the numbers of items you are finding in them. IE if you clear Stalkers on level 15, this should not be counted because it is a level 14 monster. There still may be some lingering implementation issues here where I do not fully grasp what the code was designed to do. In a perfect world, I would like to get reports from several different players on several different days. (hint-hint.)

Foggie: I changed how this monster was behaving +/- 18 months ago. He is NOT an autodrop. He used to be set to auto drop PoF, but … now he has a wider assortment of potential drops, including a chance of having nothing at all.

Asmo and orcus are not ubers. And yes, if they roll poorly they can have some pretty terrible items. This is inline with my recollections from the original game.

The uber area appears to be back to not functioning correctly. I have asked Jude to look into this. I don't know for sure what I will do when this gets repaired. I may leave this area alone, or I may re-do the level entirely to make sure it is mapped with monsters in it, instead of mainly empty rooms. We will see hw much time I have and what the others have to say. If I redo this area, I will post about it.

Keep those reports coming in:

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Monster specific Items Empty update on the uber area

Post by dungeonmaster Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:05 pm

FYI:

I am currently leaning towards a total redo of the uber area.  So get your licks in now while you can.  I believe we have located the troublesome code, and Jude will get it fixed when he can.

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mlm Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:02 pm

I am not real good at keeping data-- but here is a rough idea from this morning:

level 15 boxes (excluding the obvious level 13/14 monsters) 28 opened.
I blew 2 TP traps. so a total of 30 boxes.

I found 2 cursed items. I found 3 burnable items (including a tome of might) from reaper. (thanks a lot) I found 1 set of DFA (but that was actually from the uber area, not from 15.) Otherwise-- it was a whole bunch of item less boxes. So my first blush assessment of improvement may have just been a sampling error.

MLM

mlm

Back to top Go down

Post by mlm Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 pm

I just completed another tour d' force on 15/16.

and glorious, it ain't.

I found two sets of magic dust (yeah the stuff you find on level 1) down there.
The first one I thought, (hmmm.   maybe I missed it landing as I cleared stuff on my way down.   maybe it fell from something without a box. )

the second came from guardsmen/ninja chest on 15.  yep.  magic dust.

I opened a series of boxes on 15, from level 15 monsters.  there were no decent items, no hard items at all in fact. I lost count at 13.  So probably 19-25 boxes total.  

I ran some of the uber loop that has monsters in it and faced down a nasty encounter with orcus/vampires/vampires (like 13 vamps in each slot!!) and death's head dragons.  I suffered 3 deaths taking this one out.  Found an amulet.  I was pretty not-stoked by this, thinking I had another breath taker on my hands.  But I headed up to check.  --

It was an amulet of power.  Yes.  The thing I first found on level 11.

Bad luck?  Bad roll?  I mean I am rolling from 1 level BELOW level 15-- and I get something from level 11?

mlm

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:20 am

I will do some very smallish tweaks of data effecting drop. I have reduced the chances of missing the table somewhat. These were probably too high.

Bad rolls were always part of the game. Nothing to get all worked up about, just move on. If you start to believe there is something systemic at work-- let me know.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mlm Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 pm

today, I found some stuff on level 16.  Took down 3 ubers and found 1 item.

today I also ran some 15 -- opened a lot of boxes (maybe 25-30 ish) [I just don't seem to be able to count because I am always getting interrupted by wife/kids/phone etc.]  I found a single sphere.  That is it.

So I opened between 5 to 7 times as many boxes on 15, as I did on 16 and yet I found a Sword of Warlond, a Breath Taker, and something else that wasn't great but at least level appropriate on 16.  And came u[p virtually dry on level 15. Seems off to me.

What I am driving at (in my aimless brain dead stream of consciousness posting) is that perhaps something is wrong with the item drop function on level 15.

Thanks for working on this and all the other issues.

MLM

mlm

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:16 pm

alrighty.  I'll add this to the list of things to be investigated.  

Try keeping a piece of scratch paper next to where you game.  If you find a box from a level 15 monster put a tick mark on the left side.  If the box has a hard item, put a tick on the top half of the right side. If it has a burnable put a tick on the bottom half of the right side.  When you get upstairs and ID everything, keep separate ticks for things that are outrageously bad.  Like magic dust from Ninja.  Then at the end-- add it all up and report it here.

EXG:
36 boxes from 15 (level and monsters) 4 burnables, 3 hard items.  1 way off level item.  

That is a great report I can do something with.   IF you consistently believe that something is wrong with NINJA (for example) include it in your post.  If you are killing Ninja in level 15 Stud rooms, or the Uber area, or level 14 stud rooms or wherever-- include that as well.  Sometimes, there is a screwed up table that I can find... sometimes I just shake my head because I have no idea why these things happen.  But if enough players tell me something is wrong with Ninja (or Foggie) eventually we get to the bottom of it.

So keep reporting please.

Oh, you now have much less of a chance to "miss" your table when rolling for an item from a box. So the rate of stuff you find being way off should go down, considerably.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down