Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scavy not as portrayed

2 posters

Go down

Scavy not as portrayed Empty Scavy not as portrayed

Post by miger Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 pm

A while back I decided to build a scavy. I thought this guild was portrayed as being a respectable fighter, but more importantly, was the guild next to the Thief guild being able to most safely open chests. I wanted to create a char that could travel with others and be fairly successful at safely opening chests. I understand it certainly would not be as well as a thief but better than any other guild. I understand the scavy's abilities will grow more slowly that the thief but thought they would improve with growth.

I was somewhat surprised when my scavy seem to get worse at safely opening trapped chests as he grew, not better. In fact once I grew past level 100, he seemed to get drastically worse.

So I started marking down my success rate of opening trapped chests on several consecutive trips. Usually to levels 6 & 7. So far, out of 113 trapped chests, the scavy opened only 23 safely (20%). That means he blew 90 chests (80%). That just does not seem to qualify a scavy as an "opener" second only to a thief! I do not even try to open Teleport, Symbol of Death, or Withering because of the high rate for failure.

My Ogre scavy is grade 114, wearing all usable items for his grade with stats maxed.

Are my expectations out of line? Or does the scavy guild need some adjustments?

Last edited by miger on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

miger

Back to top Go down

Scavy not as portrayed Empty Re: Scavy not as portrayed

Post by dungeonmaster Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 am

Scavvie gains thief abilities very slowly. Check back in 3 to 4 hundred levels.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Agreed/ The scavy gains slowly. My point is that a scavy should not have to wait for level 400-500 to deserve that ++ rating in trap id disarm column shown in the help lesson. The thief only has a +++ rating. Give the scavy some early credit for the rating and a 20% success factor is  more like a minus rating than the second best guild rating. The help lesson even describes the ogre as taking great pleasure in hacking treasure chests.

I see that the scavy does a LOT better on level 5 than on level 7 in safely opening trapped chest. So depth must be a big factor in success.

If a ++ equals 20% at level 115, then the minus for ninja and villain must mean they fail every trapped chest and that is not the case. Oh well, I was just trying to point out what appears to be an inequity. according to the help lesson.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:32 am

The display is accurate. A level 200 Scavvie boxes better than a level 200 nomad or 200 ninja or 200 villain. Your EXPECTATION for progression is out of line with the game data and its traditional set up. Does that make the game wrong? or is it your expectation? I understand your point-- and if I were setting up a totally new game, I might want a guild that got its boxing skills a little bit earlier if they were rated ++.

That however is not the way the game originally played. + (Nomad) never gets to be a good boxer at all. ++ (Scavvie) gets to be pretty good but not til the very end of the progression. Its just how it was, so most likely how it will remain.

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Agreed. Thanks for clarifying.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content