Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

complications mechanics question

4 posters

Go down

complications mechanics question Empty complications mechanics question

Post by billy G Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:22 pm

I comped two chars today (yeah, bummer) and they rolled off what seems to be alot of hits for their levels. Is the comp routine running off of the char's levels or their pre comp hitpoints? Is it random or preset?

Just asking. Thanks for hosting the game. It is a great deal of fun and a nice change of pace from the OTHER hosting site. For the life of me I can't figure out why more people aren't playing here.

Billy

billy G

Back to top Go down

complications mechanics question Empty Re: complications mechanics question

Post by dungeonmaster Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 am

I am unsure what is the heart of this issue. In my recollection, comps were always based on the char's hits not levels. I built a nomad once (it was a stupid race between several players, BITD) and comp'd it about level 400. Hits were terrible to begin with, but only lost around 100 to the comp. If it had been base on levels-- it would have been game over for that char.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Bummer. Grade 600 sorc comps and loses 243 hits. That surely is a severe penalty and changes the nature of play. I need a hit buffer to run deepest levels where assigned quests can be found. Almost as if a comp of such magnitude is intended as an encouragement to dump a senior char (for me anyway). Like Billy asked is this amount of hit loss to be expected?

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:36 pm

I just looked at the code.  The comp routine we are running is based solely on the character's maximum guild level.  

This may not be historically accurate.  I think at some point the 'Avatar 84' version that JAVATAR is based on used a formula that incorporated (perhaps among other things) the hits a character was gaining per level.  This came up in conversation because I think someone had noted that Nomads, with their '1 hit per level' tended to receive less severe comps (in terms of hit points) than 'regular' characters.

I'm going to email JP the exact formula we are using for his review.  In the meantime, if anyone here has any data/recollections on how they remember comps working in historical versions of the game, please let me know.  Anyone have data on comps?  Or the spare time to check the original source code?  Smile

I'm happy to revisit/revise this line of code.

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down