Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thieving routine

2 posters

Go down

Thieving routine Empty Thieving routine

Post by musicman Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:12 pm

I posted a note regarding this topic in the in-game notesfile which is now gone so I will restate what I think was the most important fact stated in the other note. If it is still the authors (Jude) intent for this to resemble avatar (I have played several different versions of the game), then this could be important. I saw several new and improved versions of avatar from 1979 to 1993. Each one made improvements to characters & their abilities and the player interface as wells as increased the difficulty for the increasing number of higher level monsters (Studs/Ubers especially) because as it turned out most gamers at the time of this games development were pretty smart and through much teamwork figured out how to beat the toughest encounters that the DM's could conjure up for us especially if they got good rolls on entry to the stud encounters. Much of the code was kept secret for several reasons, the foremost being figuring out how to win. The PC game era is all but gone and you had cheat codes & GOD mode for most of those if you didn't want to use your brain. Nowadays the onlibe games are most popular (DDO, LOTR, Drakensang et. al.) and cheating has been done away with. Anyway I digress...what I would like to pass on (and may already be known to some of the avatar veterans playing here) is that Thieves cannot be stolen from after lvl 249 and Scavengers after lvl 743. This coincides with the maxing out of their skill as a boxer as well. I did not learn this until 2007 when it was a topic of discussion on cyber1. Mike Cochran, who owns cyber1, confirmed (by what Steve Peltz told him after examining the code of the three avatar games which are played there) this bit of trivia. I know Steve Peltz pretty well and in his field he is considered one of the best 'tutor' programmers ever, so once I heard this I had no doubt it was fact. I'm not a programmer, I'm a musician and still a rather avid gamer. What I am suggesting is that if the thieving routine here could be re-examined and adjusted to resemble the formula that the original authors finally came up with after several 'new and improved' versions of avatar, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed even though much of the guess work and collaboration with others was the source of the enjoyment.
Jude, Thank you for your consideration of this subject which I realize is but one aspect of this great dinosaur of a d&d game.
Steve

musicman

Back to top Go down

Thieving routine Empty Re: Thieving routine

Post by Jude Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Roger that--we are aware of thieving immunity in the prior versions. (I think I had those benchmarks/numbers written down someplace.) Javatar's 'ramp' of thieving resistance may not be exactly as everyone remembers it, and is most likely not what it was in Avatar '84. (Again, we don't have the formulas from '84.. some things are easier to guess at than others.) At any rate, I *did* write the code here with the intention that thieves (and scavengers at a higher level) would become essentially thief proof at certain benchmarks. I'll take a peek at the code and see if it is still working as intended. As you play along, if you feel like the game is overtly ripping you off, and making it unfun/not worth building a thief, PLEASE let me know. Every guild needs to have value (well, some more than others!) and thieves not getting stolen from is an important mechanic of the game.

Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:27 pm

I waited 3 days of encounters to respond, and it definitely looks fixed.

musicman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down