Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New cable modem installed

Go down

New cable modem installed Empty New cable modem installed

Post by Jude Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:56 pm

This weekend I installed a new cable modem (which feeds data back and forth to the Javatar server).

I've been looking over the cable modem logs since the install and haven't seen any issues.. So I am pretty sure any *hardware* related glitching of connections should be in the rear view mirror for the time being.

That said, if there are any *software* related slowdowns, freezes or glitches related to repeatable circumstances in the game, please let us know with reports.

Have fun!

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

New cable modem installed Empty Re: New cable modem installed

Post by Jude Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Followup:

I have been talking with my internet service provider about some ongoing connectivity issues. Yesterday they did some power balancing on my cable modem. This afternoon I cleaned up some grungy looking ground wire connections where the coax comes in to my house from the road, and just ordered a new grounding coupler to replace the existing one. Hopefully this will result in more robust connections.

-Jude
Jude
Jude

miger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:58 pm

Followup #2:

Today I installed my 2nd replacement cable modem. Hopefully this one is a bit more compatible with my ISP. Fingers are crossed!
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:01 pm

...and to top it all off, I just had the cable repair guy visit the other day. He found that the power levels leading from the road to my cable modem were pretty high, in fact, they were at the borderline of what the hardware should be able to tolerate.

He ended up installing an attenuator on the line leading into my cable modem. Things have been a LOT more stable since he did that. I'm not sure how the signal in my neighborhood got so *hot* all of a sudden. My only guess is that a neighbor wasn't getting enough signal and they juiced it up.. for everybody.

Hopefully this is the last chapter of the connectivity saga! Smile

Happy New Year!

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:51 pm

For those keeping track, I just replaced the main router that feeds the Javatar server/webpage. The wireless radios in my old router finally gave up the ghost, and I didn't want fried wireless circuitry interfering with the wired infrastructure that feeds Javatar. So we are now operating with a brand new router, with its wireless radios turned *off*. (I installed a second, stand alone Wi-Fi router on another level of my house to deal exclusively with wireless traffic for the household..)

Things are looking good on the Javatar server--I am able to pull and push the maximum amount of megabits per second that Xfinity provides in my neighborhood... now if I can just get them to fix the sporadic dropouts we are seeing every week or so...
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:37 pm

...and yesterday the Xfinity cable guy was here to replace the underground coax cable that feeds the internet to my house. Since this cable has been replaced, I have see ZERO errors in my cable modem log file... Whereas yesterday morning alone was no less than six outages.

So, after many cable modems, routers and service calls, I think we FINALLY have stable internet infrastructure supporting the JAVATAR server. (Knocking on my Wooden Shield!)

Happy gaming,

-Jude
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum