Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Javatar v2.1

5 posters

Go down

Javatar v2.1 Empty Javatar v2.1

Post by miger Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 pm

Does the announcement of the future introduction of Javatar v2.1 and the demise of the current version mean our current characters be retained in the new version or will they be lost?

miger

miger

Back to top Go down

Javatar v2.1 Empty Re: Javatar v2.1

Post by dungeonmaster Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Mike,

I have checked the activity logs for the game going back to 2/10.  Since that time, there is only 1 day that shows any significant game play.  (I am excluding people who sit in the city)

So I tell you what-- IF it can be supported-- I will have Jude leave this version up and running AS LONG AS people are actually playing it.  I don't know all the details-- I think it can be done -- but it constitutes a drain on the resources of the server, the bandwidth of the ISP and so, if no one is playing it semi-consistently -- it will go bye-bye.  

In answer to your question, a new version is a NEW VERSION.  You don't get to keep anything from the previous version.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:24 pm

It would seem that the current version of Javatar is mostly populated with players with many years of prior playing experience. In many instances, these players start new characters using both game resources of money and items previously gained in the game. It seems to be a rare exception for them to start a new character without those additional resources as a brand new player to the game would have to do.

A fresh player starts without such resources and even more importantly, no knowledge of how the game works nor experience with maps or map making. It is unlikely that a brand new Javatar player can accomplish quick success in the game lacking the prior experience and knowledge.

I would offer myself as an example. I first entered Javatar in 2015. I slowly began to learn the "rules" of the game and the manner in which to successfully grow a character. Just learning how to efficiently navigate the map levels was a learning process as was staying alive or recovering from comps. My first few sets of characters reflect all those early mistakes attributable to learning the game. Thankfully experienced players were often generous in sharing resources and tips. My eventual goal was to develop high ranking characters and to be able to successfully handle the games toughest levels. Even though I have been playing for more than 5 years, I am far from such goals.

Additional challenges were introduced when special event maps were required to enter those events. I have never learned how to quickly and effectively create new maps and had to mostly wait for other who were experienced at mapping and willing to share in order for me to play those special map events. By the time I could have individually created maps, the event would have likely been over.

I do not expect you to modify your future intentions on introducing new versions, nor extending an old version based on the comments of one person, especially a relative newbie such as I am. At this time point, I realize I will/would not quickly attain my desired goals in either event. In a new version with a similar format, I suspect that by the time I obtain/create maps I will simply again be far behind the pace of reasonable expectations to complete goals.

The game is fun. It is more fun when enjoyed with others. Currently as you point out, few are present. If it takes a revision to regain players that may be your path. I do not see a solution for brand new players to the game to achieve reasonable goals.

Thanks for all your efforts in creating a nice game.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:16 am

In thinking more about why you would create a new version and eliminate the current version, the obvious reason is that you enjoy the acts of creation. But more seriously, it may be that your motivation may be to attract back and challenge the group of senior, experienced players who seemed to have moved away from the current version. If this is a real reason it may be somewhat self-defeating since the size of that group is diminishing with age and likely would in time grow tired of a new version for the same reasons they have left the current one.

It would seem more reasonable to take steps to attract brand new players into the game. Once attracted they likely would stay around longer and provide an increasing base, not a diminishing one.

So the challenge here is how to publicize or spread the word of the game effectively to draw in new participants. How can a new version be modified to better attract new players? Finding how to reach additional new players may be the answer to promote both your interest on creation and add true life to an interesting game.

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:33 pm

The current version is fatally flawed. Saving throw reliance on CON has made some races kings and others paupers. Excessive numbers of monsters have made quests much harder to find. Paladins/villains are hopelessly pitiful. These are the main reasons we need a new version.

I doubt seriously new players are very interested in this old nostalgic game. But feel free to try and drum up interest.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mcnail Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 pm

are you going to base it on avatar 84 or will it be a all new game

mcnail

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:31 pm

My VISION (long term) is to create an Avatar84-Avatar90 fusion "like" game. But that would be for JAVATAR 3.0 I am considering the next version Javatar 2.1

I hope to create 1 or more playable classes for the next version and modify the Paladin and Villain classes in a major fashion, and the Wizard (and to a lesser degree Mage) class slightly. All of this is based upon Jude's willingness to modify the code. Here are some issues I am hoping to address in addition to what I mentioned before:

1) Nudge the boxing progression to make Thief progress slightly slower, Scavvies progress slightly faster and Villains behave more like Scavvies did in the current version. This hopefully creates the freedom of choice to run non-Thieves endgame without destroying the Thief class entirely.
2) Create a new guild for those that would like to try running solo.
3) Create some new spells and spell types.
4) Attempt to balance the guilds to allow players more freedom of choice instead of funneling everyone into the same choices.
5) Create new maps that allow for players to run without TP/Recall classes IF they so choose.
6) Break the "OGRE= GOD" code block.
7) Reduce the total numbers of monsters in the dungeon and their overall dependence on destruction-type attacks. In general, I plan to beef up their ability to fight and hopefully give them a more reasonable CRIT/BS ability.

I have some other really cool ideas-- but they will require more work/time from Jude and they are more likely pipe dreams than actual plans.

At this point I am still very much open to suggestions. What can I do to make the game more fun and more challenging?

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Jackknife likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm

I'm happy to make whatever code changes the Dungeonmaster needs for Javatar 2.1 and 3.0 moving forward. Work has already begun behind the scenes! Smile
Jude
Jude

Jackknife likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Delusion Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:22 pm

dungeonmaster wrote:My VISION (long term) is to create an Avatar84-Avatar90 fusion "like" game.  But that would be for JAVATAR 3.0  I am considering the next version Javatar 2.1  

I hope to create 1 or more playable classes for the next version and modify the Paladin and Villain classes in a major fashion, and the Wizard (and to a lesser degree Mage) class slightly.  All of this is based upon Jude's willingness to modify the code.  Here are some issues I am hoping to address in addition to what I mentioned before:

1) Nudge the boxing progression to make Thief progress slightly slower, Scavvies progress slightly faster and Villains behave more like Scavvies did in the current version.  This hopefully creates the freedom of choice to run non-Thieves endgame without destroying the Thief class entirely.
2) Create a new guild for those that would like to try running solo.
3) Create some new spells and spell types.
4) Attempt to balance the guilds to allow players more freedom of choice instead of funneling everyone into the same choices.
5) Create new maps that allow for players to run without TP/Recall classes IF they so choose.  
6) Break the "OGRE= GOD" code block.
7) Reduce the total numbers of monsters in the dungeon and their overall dependence on destruction-type attacks.  In general, I plan to beef up their ability to fight and hopefully give them a more reasonable CRIT/BS ability.

I have some other really cool ideas-- but they will require more work/time from Jude and they are more likely pipe dreams than actual plans.

At this point I am still very much open to suggestions.  What can I do to make the game more fun and more challenging?

JPA

I still like this version, I'm happy to see its still going, A90 was my favorite, I look forward to playing when time permits. I don't see how this one isn't challenging and fun though

Delusion

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:04 pm

The decline in the number of people playing this game seems to coincide with the announcement that this version is going away. That is sad. There were a lot of people playing this game before the announcement. At first, I too thought what is the use of continuing to play the game if it is suddenly going away. But the current version is exciting and I believe we would still have many players if the announcement of its demise hadn't occurred.

If the 2.1 version is simply an exercise for someone to create a new version of the game, how long will the 2.1 version last before the urge to create another "new" version hits and here we go again?

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:09 pm

I don't see V 2.1 coming anytime soon. Neither Jude or I have the time or inclination at the moment.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down