Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some obvious errors or some dubious choices

4 posters

Go down

Some obvious errors or some dubious choices Empty Some obvious errors or some dubious choices

Post by ghostwheel Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:24 pm

Why can Good and Evil run in the same party?

If this is a choice, why don't we just get ride a alignments entirely?  If it is not a choice, why hasn't this been reported/fixed?  The old game went so far as to block you from even picking up a corpse of a misaligned player.

When there are alot of players in the game, the LAB e and LAB a pages behave poorly anytime the display goes past a single page.  I see artifacts of previous text left in odd places, and some characters get left out of the display entirely.   Yesterday I had a party of 5 in the city, but only 1 showed up on the lab a page.

Why do I sometimes see wands and such with alignments on them in the store?

Why do I see dead companions that do not exist?

Why do I see that I am carrying a player that is already alive?

Why does the previous dead player still sometimes see that he is being carried?

Why is it that when I am in the store and I hit LAB 4 (to look at page 4) the 4 goes into the first digit of the identify which item field?

Why do I see (when casting summon monsters) that no monsters are available, but I still get companions?

Is there any progress on all the crashes?  They seem to be two kinds of crashes.  1 type  happens as you enter a new room.  The room never plots, the game hangs up and sometimes the server comes back after like 5 minutes.  The other type happens during combat and seems to happen at the end of round 1.  IE all my chars have acted, and now we are waiting for the monsters to act-- and nothing ever happens.  The game freezes and the server seems to go dead.  I am a poor programmer but I would say the first is triggering a long loop that fails to close properly, and the second is an execution error that kills the application.

I like this game, for the most part.  But the combination of little errors and big errors is sort of making me not want to play anymore.

Last edited by ghostwheel on Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

ghostwheel

Back to top Go down

Some obvious errors or some dubious choices Empty Re: Some obvious errors or some dubious choices

Post by mcnail Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:09 pm

Why...

party - Party alignment - evil and good together.. bug or feature? Empty Party alignment - evil and good together.. bug or feature?

Post by Leoluca Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:55 am
I noticed that evil and good can group together, I thought this was intentional so long as the leader is neutral but I think other classic versions of avatar would only allow the party to contain neutral + either evil or good but not both.

I might be shooting myself in the foot a little by reporting the bug because I have both evil and good characters so if you do change this can you kindly change Machiavelli from evil to neutral? Thanks!
Leoluca

party - Party alignment - evil and good together.. bug or feature? Empty Re: Party alignment - evil and good together.. bug or feature?

Post by Jude Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:03 pm
Yeah, this is a bug that has been masquerading as a feature for some time. Smile If I do change this, I would be happy to adjust some alignments. (I don't want this fix to become a major inconvenience.)

Why do I see dead companions...

checkout the note below several responses so i will not copy here just let everyone go to and read
UNUSUAL COMPANIONS

Javatar.org :: Bug Reports :: Display and Timing Issues

Why is it that when I am in the store and I hit LAB 4 (to look at page 4) the 4 goes into the first digit of the identify which item field?

Unless i am misunderstanding i am most likely am this version does the same thing in the store as it does in cyber1 avatar

I realize this version might not be perfect but then i don't remember a perfect version if one goes to cyber1 and runs in a party you will see waiting for party so much this version also is so much faster than any version i remember

that said please do let Jude and jpa know be made aware of what you see/feel so they can look into it...i have been here damn near since day 1 and they have made many repairs/enchantments over the years...i haven;t look into it yet but i saw where jpa made major changes to the z dungeon recently perhaps even this morning

I hope you will hang around we do enjoy having you here

mcnail

Back to top Go down

Some obvious errors or some dubious choices Empty Re: Some obvious errors or some dubious choices

Post by ghostwheel Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:39 pm

Some obvious errors or some dubious choices Screen10

ghostwheel

Back to top Go down

Post by ghostwheel Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:49 pm

Display errors and minor little 'bugs' are a symptom. And it speaks mainly to a lack of follow thru to fully implement the game. It is annoying to me, but far from the real issue.

The real source of the 'malaise' that I experience after running is the crashes. I loose a whole run, my party is scattered all across the dungeon (the fix I find to this problem is to frequently return records on all chars running) and then the game is unavailable for the rest of the day. Given that my schedule precludes me from playing every day, this means some days I am only getting in 1 or 2 runs; then the system goes into lock up mode, and the rest of the time I had to game is gone. I think I will just take a couple weeks off, and see "IF" I miss playing, and "IF" they make any improvements to stability.

ghostwheel

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:52 pm

I cannot speak for Jude, but this is where I am at on this issue.

1) I appreciate your willingness to 'attack' errors and try and diagnose them and report your findings.
2) I certainly understand the frustrations of having time set aside to play the game and then not being able to play because the game is down.
3) It appears to me that you are expecting more of a "finished product" than what we currently have to offer.

You have to recall that Jude wrote this 'simulation' entirely by himself. Is it perfect? Obviously not. Is it ever going to be 'perfect' ???? I don't think that is even possible. This isn't Novanet. This isn't cyber1. We aren't talking about a recoded version of the game written on the same platform. This is one man's effort to recreate a game that really doesn't exist anywhere anymore.

So yeah, we have issues. And we appreciate your reports and your efforts to debug stuff you find. But at the end of the day, Jude has a job, and a wife, and small children, and other interests -- so he gets to stuff as he has time and as he WANTS to.

So you have to decide-- do I want to play the game under those terms, or do I want to do something else with my time.

It your call.

JPA
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by miger Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:47 pm

I for one enjoy playing this simulation with many quirks to discover and to work into using. I would discourage all attempts to modify Javatar just to make it match other versions of Avatar.
If any player is frustrated with Javatar, and prefers more Original Avatar, then the obvious answer for them is to go play those versions, not try to influence Javatar for the sake of patterning the other versions.
Mike

miger

Back to top Go down

Post by ghostwheel Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:17 am

Of course you are right. Cyber1 had the advantage of having a version of the original code and the ability to compile and execute TUTOR. AND they had a whole bunch of people working on display and timing issues from the git go, people with decades of experience serving as systems programmers on CERL and other PLATO systems.

The fact that Jude programmed this thing totally by himself is pretty much amazing.

I apologize for the tone of my earlier comments. I was ignorant of the facts, and I spoke out of frustration,

ghostwheel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down