Javatar.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIXED: Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch)

3 posters

Go down

FIXED:  Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch) Empty FIXED: Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch)

Post by musicman Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:11 pm

I have two characters quested for an Iron Bear. The quest is not clearing after dispensing with ar least 30 of these virtual critters.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
UPDATE: So after killing at least 150 Iron Bears on levels 8-11 with neither characters quests being cleared, I killed some Iron Bears (while hunting Heroes) on level 12.. This encounter cleared both Iron Bear quests thankfully.
If you are going to leave it the way it is, may I suggest that you have the clerk specify which particular flavor of Iron Bear (Hatchling, Master Thrall, or whatever other monster can appear in a wide variety of locations, but won't clear a quest unless killed in the "proper" location) will be needed to complete the quest? Here I was thinking an Iron Bear was an Iron Bear. Silly me. If this makes no sense whatsoever, please disregard this note as the rantings of a raving lunatic.
If it does make sense however, may I also suggest that the quest routine and all the monsters listed for possible quests, be looked at and hopefully reworked so as bot to confuse or frustrate both current and future javatarists. Thanks

Last edited by Jude on Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : suggested fix for recurring problem)

musicman

Back to top Go down

FIXED:  Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch) Empty Re: FIXED: Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch)

Post by dungeonmaster Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:14 am

I think this problem is more a matter of the way Mis ID functions, and less a problem with the quest code.

Some reports of this "feature" have involved hatchlings. I understand this issue-- and created it as a bunch of different mobs that all share the same name. I wanted it to be a minor pain -- but if it is a major pain-- I can put differing names on them.

The other end of this issue -- I unfortunately can't fix so easily. There is only one other monster with a shared name, and it isn't Iron Bears. Iron bears do not appear on level 8. Those have to be Mis ID'd frost bears, or something else that can show up as iron bear. As far as I know-- you can kill an Iron Bear anywhere-- and fill the Q. The game is only looking for a monster number to be present--

Jude?
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

FIXED:  Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch) Empty Re: FIXED: Iron Bears (mis-ID code glitch)

Post by Jude Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Yes, the code should only be looking at the monster number of the creature killed. Furthermore, that code should not care what level the creature is found on.

Question: what slot was the iron bear in, and what other creatures were present in the encounter(s)?
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 am

In answer to your question Jude, The Iron Bears on 8 (in the stud room between the two giant areas) & 9 were under Frost Bears. On 10 & 11 they were in slot 1 with some more Iron Bears in other slots sometimes and other types of bears at other times. If this is truly a mis-ID problem then why do all characters identify them as Iron Bears? From my experience, the higher level the character is that has the Iron Bear quest is, the deeper the character must go to fulfill the quest. This has also happened for my group of spelunkers when quested for hatchlings and master thralls (several times for hatchlings and twice with master thralls).
I point this out only to make the game less confusing and therefore potentially more fun for those playing it.

musicman

Back to top Go down

Post by dungeonmaster Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:48 pm

There is a vanishingly small chance of encountering Iron Bears on 8 -- in a super stud, in SLOT 4. If you see them in any other slot-- they are mis ID'd. They have a tiny chance of appearing on ten, in one frost bear encounter-- but the odds are very small.

They are not present at all in regular 11. So you have to be in a stud room on 11, or they are on twelve.

This is not the usual sort of information I give out, but I want you to understand-- Mis-ID works differently here than in other versions. I am sure it can be tweaked to work better-- but this is almost certainly a mis ID issue.

I have given some thought to the whole hatchling issue-- and for logic's sake, I don't want to rename them randomly-- because rightnow Hot Dragon and Cold dragon's all share the same generic hatchling name. So if I rename the ones on level 10 lets say to Ramagon Hatchlings-- then you are going to find Ice Dragons with Ramagon hatchlings-
which makes no sense at all... so I am still thinking it over. Expect something soon.
dungeonmaster
dungeonmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:39 pm

I am taking this as an action item to fix the way mis-ID works here.  I'll make a note here when it is fixed.
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:06 am

This time it was a code issue, not a problem with the monster data.

I have fixed the problem we had with the mis-ID code. There was only ever ONE flavor of Iron Bear here.. The real problem was that our mis-ID code wasn't ever allowing a character to correctly identify a mis-IDed monster *during* a combat. Now, if you walk into a room, and get a mis-ID, if you stay in there long enough, your character will eventually figure out what the monster really is. I'm hoping that with this code issue fixed, fulfilling certain quests should be a lot less frustrating now. I apologize for the inconvenience.

The new and improved mis-ID correcting code is now live on the server.. enjoy!
Jude
Jude

Back to top Go down

Post by musicman Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Jude,
Thank you for your diligent investigation into this matter. Monsters eventually ID'ing correctly, (pressing NEXT alot is what we used to do) is how all previous versions which had the mis-ID feature worked. And there was much rejoicing!

musicman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down